Rewards and Recognition
We support the advancement of the University’s mission with efforts to measure, improve, reward and celebrate individuals and team performance. We aim to foster productivity, inclusivity, organizational pride and engagement.
Why We Believe in R&R
It is in our DNA to build and sustain a culture of caring and recognition. When you feel appreciated and recognized, and you have the ability to recognize others, you are naturally engaged. Good things happen when staff members are engaged — personal achievement, professional recognition within and beyond our UVA walls, and we deliver on our mission, vision and strategic goals.
UVA offers many programs that recognize the contributions of you and your colleagues:
UVA Discount Program
In a partnership with the UVA Academic Division and the Health System, the UVA Discount Program provides you and your family with significant discounts and special offers from many of our local businesses. You can easily access your discounts from a desktop computer, tablet or smartphone!
To receive your UVA discount, simply present your UVA ID badge prior to doing business with the participating vendors. Please check back often to view new discounts and limited time offers!
Click here to download a printable list of UVA Discounts.
Recognizing Our Staff Members
Saying thanks is such a simple way to show appreciation. At UVA, we say thank you for your many contributions with events that celebrate:
- Your tenure
- Your hard work and commitment
- Our accomplishments throughout the year
A long tenure deserves recognition. That’s why we give a special nod to staff members who achieve certain service milestones – 10 years of continuous service and every five years after.
Service anniversaries of 10, 15 and 20 years by July 1 are honored at a University-wide reception. If you reach your 25 or more years of service milestones, we are proud to celebrate with you at the Annual Service Awards Banquet.
This is not just your ordinary banquet – it is a red carpet event designed to celebrate you and your tenure at our organization. Special speakers, special food, special recognition and an exciting evening you won’t want to miss.
We do our best to maintain an accurate list, but encourage you to contact Human Resources Solution Center if you think you qualify.
- University Staff (salaried, academic division)
- Classified Staff (salaried, academic division)
- Health System Staff (salaried)
- Employees who have converted from Faculty to Staff (credited from the date of initial hire)
- Service in any department
- Salaried part-time employment
- Service on a wage basis (appropriately recorded)
- Military Leave service (taken according to leave regulations)
- Leave without pay to attend school (recorded and certified by supervisor)
- Non-continuous service (the total amount of employment, even if interrupted)
Non-staff (faculty, students, etc.) are not part of this program.
If you have not reached your anniversary by July 1 of the award year, you will be recognized the following year. Ex. Someone hired July 4, 2007 would celebrate a 10 year anniversary in 2018.
Leonard W. Sandridge Outstanding Contributor Award
This award is intended to be the highest individual award at the University. It is named in honor of Leonard W. Sandridge, who was an avid champion of UVA staff and who dedicated 44 years of service to the school. He joined the University in 1967 as internal audit staff and held a number of positions until he became executive vice president and chief operating officer in 1993.
- $1,000 award
- Recognition at the Service Awards Dinner (Boar’s Head Inn)
- Lunch with the Board of Visitors
- An engraved gift
- Consideration for nomination for Governor’s Awards
- Currently employed, salaried, and non-probationary
- University Staff
- Classified Staff
- Health System Staff
This program does not apply to Faculty.
- Outstanding contribution to the overall mission, objectives, and values of the University
- These contributions have enhanced internal or public regard for the services provided by the University or Commonwealth
- Service has affected students, patients, other clients of the University, management, fellow employees, or the community
President Ryan’s Pancake Breakfast
Thank You UVA staff! Be sure to make time to attend our annual recognition pancake breakfast hosted by President Ryan! It’s a special celebration you won’t want to miss.
Recognize your staff members with a simple thank you or Happy Birthday or with a formal recommendation for going above and beyond.
Hoo’s Well is our comprehensive prevention and wellness program that can help improve your general fitness and reduce your risk for heart disease, cancer, diabetes and other illnesses. Learn more about the support we offer and classes.
It is personally rewarding to give back to the communities in which we serve. Make time to be involved in a community event.
Volunteer in the Community
Volunteering is a great way to spend time with colleagues outside of work for a good cause. We’re proud that our employees have a positive impact on the community, and we do our best to offer support.
Check on your leave policies to find out about volunteering during work hours. Employees get various hours of paid volunteer leave per year.
- Academic Staff - 16 hours
- Medical Center Staff - 8 hours
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join our email list for future opportunities. We are also happy to hear your suggestions for more volunteer opportunities.
Volunteer Service Leave
You can receive up to 16 hours paid leave in any leave year for volunteer services and school assistance. Click here to read more about this important way to give back.
- UVA provides up to 16 hours paid Public Service Leave per calendar year for approved absences to attend school functions or perform volunteer work for an eligible service organization.
- For more information about 16 hours of paid public service leave, click here.
- The United Way Laurence E. Richardson Day of Caring was established in 1992 to promote the spirit and value of volunteerism, increase the awareness of local human services agencies and schools and demonstrate what people working together for the community can accomplish.
- Each year, UVA teams donate their time and talents to various community projects during the annual Day of Caring.
- Join your fellow colleagues in participating in one of the many events that support a good cause.