UVA Health Plan Ombuds
The UVA Health Plan Ombuds (not to be confused with University Ombuds or Billing and Collections Ombuds) makes health plan information available and understandable for UVA employees. The UVA Health Plan Ombuds can:
- Answer questions about policies and benefits
- Listen to complaints and concerns
- Provide information regarding complaint and appeal procedures and advise on the appropriate course of action
- Investigate payment problems for submitted claims that employees have been unable to resolve themselves
- Refer issues to other University offices or committees, as appropriate
When sending email
s to the UVA Health Plan Ombuds:
- Do not include your Social Security number
- Include a telephone number
- Be aware that email is not secure; there is some risk it could be seen by a third party
All encounters with the UVA Health Plan Ombuds are kept confidential.
About UVA Health Plan
UVA Health Plan is self-funded. UVA pays claims to physicians, hospitals, and other providers directly from employee premiums and from UVA itself.
Aetna is the plan’s third-party medical claims administrator. Aetna determines medical necessity for services.
Participants should use Aetna network providers in order for claims to be processed as in-network.