Saying thanks is such a simple way to show appreciation. At UVA, we say thank you for your many contributions with events that celebrate:
- Your tenure
- Your hard work and commitment
- Our accomplishments throughout the year
A long tenure deserves recognition. That’s why we give a special nod to staff members who achieve certain service milestones – 10 years of continuous service and every five years after.
Service anniversaries of 10, 15 and 20 years by July 1 are honored at a University-wide reception. If you reach your 25 or more years of service milestones, we are proud to celebrate with you at the Annual Service Awards Banquet.
This is not just your ordinary banquet – it is a red carpet event designed to celebrate you and your tenure at our organization. Special speakers, special food, special recognition and an exciting evening you won’t want to miss.
We do our best to maintain an accurate list, but encourage you to contact Human Resources Solution Center if you think you qualify.
- University Staff (salaried, academic division)
- Classified Staff (salaried, academic division)
- Health System Staff (salaried)
- Employees who have converted from Faculty to Staff (credited from the date of initial hire)
- Service in any department
- Salaried part-time employment
- Service on a wage basis (appropriately recorded)
- Military Leave service (taken according to leave regulations)
- Leave without pay to attend school (recorded and certified by supervisor)
- Non-continuous service (the total amount of employment, even if interrupted)
Non-staff (faculty, students, etc.) are not part of this program.
If you have not reached your anniversary by July 1 of the award year, you will be recognized the following year. Ex. Someone hired July 4, 2007 would celebrate a 10 year anniversary in 2018.
Leonard W. Sandridge Outstanding Contributor Award
This award is intended to be the highest individual award at the University. It is named in honor of Leonard W. Sandridge, who was an avid champion of UVA staff and who dedicated 44 years of service to the school. He joined the University in 1967 as internal audit staff and held a number of positions until he became executive vice president and chief operating officer in 1993.
- $1,000 award
- Recognition at the Service Awards Dinner (Boar’s Head Inn)
- Lunch with the Board of Visitors
- An engraved gift
- Consideration for nomination for Governor’s Awards
- Currently employed, salaried, and non-probationary
- University Staff
- Classified Staff
- Health System Staff
This program does not apply to Faculty.
- Outstanding contribution to the overall mission, objectives, and values of the University
- These contributions have enhanced internal or public regard for the services provided by the University or Commonwealth
- Service has affected students, patients, other clients of the University, management, fellow employees, or the community
President Ryan’s Pancake Breakfast
Thank You UVA staff! Be sure to make time to attend our annual recognition pancake breakfast hosted by President Ryan! It’s a special celebration you won’t want to miss.
Recognize your staff members with a simple thank you or Happy Birthday or with a formal recommendation for going above and beyond.