Agency Closing Timekeeping
Upon a declared University closing (full or partial shift modification) as a result of inclement weather or other emergency event, on the day following the closure, employees with UVA Academic Division will complete their timecards as set forth in the chart below. Medical Center employees should use PTO for any time missed due to inclement weather.
Provides guidelines for compensating employees and recording time during a declared University closing
resulting from inclement weather or other emergency events. Only the President (or designee) may
declare a University closing. Further information is provided in University Policy HRM-032, Disruption of
Normal University Operations Resulting from Weather or Emergency Events.
All full-time and part-time (20 – 40 hours per week) salaried employees are eligible for agency closing
leave in the event the University is closed as a result of inclement weather or other emergency event.
- All employees have a designation status in these events either as designated or non-designated. A designated employee is an employee whose assigned job duties and responsibilities are considered critical to maintaining the essential operations of the University when changes in operating status occur due to an emergency event. Designated employees are first responders needed to meet the immediate needs of students, patients, research programs, or general operations.
- A non-designated employee is an employee whose assigned job duties and responsibilities are not immediately critical to maintaining essential services of the University when normal University operations are disrupted as a result of an emergency event. A non-designated employee’s status may be changed to designated at any time by the employee’s supervisor and/or departmental management to respond to the weather or other emergency event.
- Learn more about weather or emergency event status and how to find your designation status in Workday.
Each manager should inform the employee of whether they are designated or non-designated and
provide instructions for each agency closing event.
Medical Center employees should use PTO for any time missed due to inclement weather.
Below is a list of instructions for each category of employee.
Non-Exempt Designated Employees
In Workday, submit the following in the Time app for the day UVA is closed:
- Enter hours scheduled to work as “Agency Closing.”
- Enter hours actually worked (if any) as “Hours Worked.”
(Note: This is a change in that all hours worked on an Agency Closing day will now be compensated in pay and not leave.)
Non-Exempt Non-Designated Employees
In Workday, submit the following in the Time app for the day UVA is closed: Enter hours scheduled to work as “Agency Closing.”
Exempt Designated or Non-Designated Employees
Exempt employees no longer need to record any entries at all for agency closing days. Exempt staff also no longer receive comp time for working on an agency closing day.
- If an employee is non-designated and chooses to work, they will be paid for their regular
hours as usual, no agency closing should be recorded.
- If an employee works a flex schedule and the agency closing day falls on their usual day off,
no agency closing should be recorded.
- If an employee is designated and does not work, no agency closing should be recorded. The
employee needs to use their personal leave for that day
- Know and understand your designated or non-designated status. You can check your status in Self-Service under “Emergency Event Status”
- Understand where to find the University’s communications regarding an Agency Closing
- Maintain up-to-date contact information in UVA Employee Self-Service
- Contact your supervisor immediately if you are a designated employee and cannot report to work during a declared weather or emergency event
- Identify with departmental management the designated/non-designated status of each employee (must be done at least annually)
- Inform each employee of his/her designated/non-designated status and how the University will communicate a declared closing for weather or emergency event (must be done at least annually)
- Ensure each designated employee understands the role he/she is to perform in each type of emergency event including logistical arrangements for parking, meals, lodging, etc.
- Ensure each non-designated employee understands:
o During full shift modifications they are to remain at home
o During a partial shift modification they are to report at the time specified (not early) and depart promptly -- not later than the specific time indicated in the partial shift modification announcement
o Ensure that employee contact information is current and readily accessible at all times
o Review and understand University Policy HRM-032
UVA HR’s responsibility
- Maintain the official record of the employees’ designated/non-designated status
- Ensure job descriptions and postings indicate designated/non-designated status
UVA Finance/Payroll’s responsibility
- Provide advice and guidance regarding the timekeeping of these events
Official Weather & Emergency Closings will be announced by local television and radio stations and
updated on the University Home Page. Employees may also call the “UVA snow lines” for updates at 434.924.7669 (924–SNOW) or 434.243.7669 (243–SNOW).