Events and Resources to Help You Choose
The 2020 Open Enrollment period begins in less than two weeks, on October 7, 2019, and runs through October 18, 2019. There will not be a confirmation period after Open Enrollment closes this year, so make sure to review and confirm your benefits early. It’s not too early to review your benefits and learn what’s new.
Check out our resources to help you determine your needs and understand the different benefits options. Choosing benefits is a significant investment in your physical and financial well-being, so we want to make sure you have a variety of ways to explore your options and get the information you need to make informed choices.
Learn About Benefit Changes in Person
You told us in a recent survey that you wanted more personalized assistance with understanding and choosing your benefits. We are listening!
- In addition to two UVA Benefits and Wellness Expos, plan to attend an Open Enrollment presentation in September or October to hear about benefits changes in person, with the opportunity to ask questions. Presentations will take place most weekdays between Sep. 18 and Oct. 10, 2019 at various locations across Grounds and the Medical Center. Visit the Open Enrollment Presentations webpage to find the presentation date and location that works best for you. No RSVP required!
- We’ve hired additional HR professionals to respond to your emails, Live Chats, and phone calls. We're ready to help you!
Join Us at a UVA Benefits & Wellness Expo
Join UVA Human Resources and Hoos Well on October 9 at Newcomb Hall and October 10 at the Medical Center Educational Resources Center for a one-stop-shop exposition of all your benefits options at UVA.
You and your spouse are invited to meet with financial planners and retirement vendors and connect with benefits counselors to get your specific questions answered. This is also a great opportunity to meet Hoos Well partners and:
- Learn more about wellness programs and reward opportunities
- Get free health screenings like blood pressure checks and injury assessments
- Attend information sessions on important health and benefits topics
- Enjoy a free chair massage
- Get free flu shots
Because the University of Virginia cares about your wellbeing, Hoos Well – the University’s award-winning comprehensive employee wellness program – offers a variety of resources to help you make healthy lifestyle choices and thrive.
- In the Hoos Well portal, employees and spouses covered by the UVA Health Plan can earn up to $500 in financial incentives when they complete activities within three domains (physical, emotional, financial) of wellbeing.
Visit the Benefits & Wellness Expos webpage for details about presentations, exhibitors, free screenings, and more! Can’t attend the information sessions on Oct. 9 or 10? Access the livestream or watch the recorded videos later on the website.
- October 9, 2019
- 8:30 am - 2:00 pm
- (last presentation ends at 3:00 pm)
- Newcomb Hall (Third Floor)
- October 10, 2019
- 7:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Medical Center
- (Education Resource Center)
Start Deciding with Open Enrollment Resources
NEW: Two new resources to assist you in understanding and choosing benefits this year include the PicWell interactive online benefits selection tool, and customized podcasts by the benefits team about benefits concepts, health plan information, Health Savings Accounts, Flexible Savings Accounts, and prescription drug coverage. You can learn more about benefits resources for Open Enrollment by visiting the Resources page. All resources are listed below.
Website: The HR Open Enrollment website is live, and features detailed information about benefits options, including 2020 health plan changes and premiums.
*NEW* Picwell: Picwell is a new online personalized, interactive health plan selection tool, enabling you to input your own information to determine the best fit for your health plan options.
Ask ALEX: ALEX (available starting September 27) is a step-by-step virtual assistant who helps you compare benefits options. With your input, it compares costs between UVA Health Plan options, and customizes recommendations to fit your needs.
Plan Selection and Cost Estimator Tool: This Aetna tool estimates your share of medical costs for 2020 for each UVA Health Plan option (Choice, Value, Basic) based on claims history for you and your dependents.
2020 Open Enrollment Video: This new video provides a brief, high-level summary of 2020 benefits changes, resources to learn more, how benefits changes are made year to year, and the UVA Health Plan design.
Other Videos: Additional videos are available on benefits topics such as common health concepts and terms, the Hoos Well program, and retirement options.
*NEW* Podcasts: Three benefits podcasts will deliver topic-specific information in an informal way, including:
• Health benefit plans and definitions
• Open Enrollment changes
• Health savings accounts and flexible spending accounts
Access the podcasts anytime on the HR Open Enrollment website.
- You will receive a large Open Enrollment Overview mailer during the first week of October. This offers an overview of the benefits changes, key dates, and website links. Get a sneak peek by viewing the PDF version on the Open Enrollment website.
- You will also receive the Open Enrollment Health Plan Comparison flyer during the second week of October. The Comparison flyer, which was previously only handed out at the Benefits & Wellness Expos and in-person presentations, highlight key comparison facts for all three health plan options, for both individuals and employees with families. A PDF version is available on the Open Enrollment website. Copies can also be picked up during Open Enrollment presentations, Health and Benefits Expos, and at the HR Solution Center.
Still Need Assistance?
If, after reviewing materials and resources on the Open Enrollment website, you would like additional 1:1 personalized assistance, please call 434.297.6667 to schedule a 30-minute appointment with one of our HR professionals. HR is offering a limited number of benefits appointments from now until Wednesday, October 16, with appointment start times from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm at the HR Michie South building.
Stay in Touch on Social Media
Follow our social media channels for up-to-date information on Open Enrollment: