Moving and Relocation
Moving to a new location can be exciting, but it can also be challenging, time-consuming, and costly. Our goal is to minimize the stress that comes with planning your move so that you can concentrate on your new exciting position at UVA.
Relocation and Reimbursement
We offer many services to support your transition, and we're always available to answer your questions.
Moving Agreements are initiated at the departmental level and are usually included as a component of a hiring package. Agreements are not valid, meaning no reimbursements will be made, until they have been signed by the:
- Vice President and Chief Human Resource Officer, or designee
- Hiring official
A designated departmental contact will assist you throughout the process.
Your Moving Agreement will establish a maximum amount that you may be reimbursed for your move. It includes payments for purchase orders to the licensed commercial moving company and the amount that can be paid to you directly (determined by your department).
The cost of the common carrier charges is deducted from the maximum amount specified in the Moving Agreement. The total amount expended through Procurement plus the amount reimbursed to the employee shall not exceed the maximum amount specified in the Moving Agreement.
Moving and relocation reimbursements for out-of-pocket expenses are processed through Payroll, so you will receive them in your regular paycheck. A designated departmental contact will assist you throughout the process.
Reimbursement and Taxes
In accordance with Internal Revenue Service regulations, all reimbursements to employees for moving expenses will be reported on the W-2. It is the employee’s responsibility to determine the taxability of such payments.
Submitting Reimbursement Requests
Group all original receipts by reimbursement category (A – G), stapling each group; refer to Employee Overview/Allowable Expenses in the Resources section below.
Submit the receipts to your departmental contact.
Additional documentation will be prepared on your behalf in the department and sent to UVA Human Resources for processing.
Travel January 1, 2018 - Current
$0.545 per mile total:
Please refer to Moving and Relocation Expense Workbook for mileage reimbursement details (downloads Excel file to your computer; look for it in your Downloads folder if it doesn’t open automatically).
Travel January 1, 2017 – December 31, 2017
$0.535 per mile total:
- House-hunting using personal vehicle: $0.535 per mile, taxable
- Final move, personal vehicle: $0.365 per mile, taxable, and $0.17, non-taxable
Travel January 1, 2016 - December 31, 2016
$0.540 per mile total:
- House-hunting using personal vehicle: $0.540 per mile, taxable
- Final move, personal vehicle: $0.35 per mile, taxable, and $0.19, non-taxable
Selecting A Moving Company
If you do not plan to make a self-move, you can either select a UVA contract common carrier vendor or entertain bids from non-contract vendors.
- A purchase order is executed for your move (your departmental contact creates a purchase order on your behalf when using non-contract vendors).
- The invoice is paid directly through Accounts Payable.
- The cost of common carrier charges is deducted from the total amount designated in your Moving Agreement.
- The fully-executed Moving Agreement must be on file to verify the total amount the University will pay towards the relocation.
Using Non-Contract Vendors
If you wish to get prices from non-contract vendors:
- Obtain three quotes when the price exceeds the institution’s noncompetitive purchase threshold;
- Select the lowest bidder;
- Refer to Guidelines for Competition in the Resources section below.
Departmental Information For Managers
Department managers offering relocation services to an employee should review the sections below for details on how to execute and revise the Moving Agreement and initiate reimbursement requests. Make sure to provide a clear contact for the employee should she/he have questions throughout the process.
Moving and relocation reimbursement requests are processed through Payroll and are included in the employee’s regular pay check. Therefore, a deadline table has been established so there will be enough time to review and process the request for the next upcoming payroll.
Deadlines for inclusion in the next upcoming payroll:
- Biweekly payroll: 5 p.m. Wednesday in the second week of the biweekly payroll period
- Faculty payroll: 5 p.m. on the 14th of the month
Executing the Moving Agreement
The Moving Agreement allows for a maximum amount (not to exceed $15,000) that can be expended for the move. The maximum amount includes payments for purchase orders to the common carriers (professional, licensed movers), as well as the amount that can be paid directly to the employee. These amounts are established at the departmental level, except the amount reimbursed directly to the employee, and cannot exceed the limit established in the Moving and Relocation Policy.
Signing the Agreement
Once employees have accepted the offer of employment, the Moving Agreement is prepared for signature.
- Provide employees with the name and telephone number of the departmental contact who will personally assist them throughout the moving experience.
- Make sure you also include the names and telephone numbers for all departmental UVA contacts involved in this process in the Moving Agreement.
- The Agreement is not valid until it has been signed by the Vice President and Chief Human Resource Officer, or designee.
Sending the Agreement
The Moving Agreement should be signed and dated by the Departmental Head/Dean and the employee, and then sent through DocuSign, which will notify all parties once the Agreement is signed and final.
Revising the Moving Agreement
If you need to make changes to a fully-executed (signed by UHR) Moving Agreement, such as changing the “move from” location or the maximum total amount for reimbursement, you must submit a revised Moving Agreement.
Extending the End Date
In addition to submitting a revised Moving Agreement for an extension, you must include a cover letter (written letter or email correspondence) stating the reason for the extension request. All requests to extend the end date should be submitted prior to the current end date of the fully-executed Moving Agreement.
Typical reasons for requesting an extension may include: the employee’s spouse and children have not yet been able to relocate, the employee’s house has not yet sold (wish to take advantage of allowable expenses), the employee has not yet found suitable housing (wish to take advantage of allowable expenses), or the final move is not yet complete.
Submitting a Revised Moving Agreement
- Use your copy of the fully-executed Moving Agreement to make the changes
- Write “REVISED” in the upper right corner
- Strike through the fields you wish to change
- Enter the changes you wish to make (be sure the change is legible; you can use the margins if you don’t have enough room)
- Strike through all of the signatures (employee, departmental, Dean’s Office/VP if required)
- Each person who signed the original agreement must re-sign and re-date the revised agreement
- Scan and send the revised agreement to email@example.com
Initiating Reimbursement Requests
Before initiating a reimbursement request, familiarize yourself with our Moving and Relocation Policy, and prepare yourself to confirm that the Employee Overview/Allowable Expenses include reimbursable expenses by category (e.g., A – G categories correspond to the reimbursement categories in the Moving and Relocation Expense Workbook).
You must also discuss whether the employee’s move will be a self-move or via common carrier. Direct questions to Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services, use Buyer Assist, or initiate a requisition to begin the procurement process. Finally, create a purchase order (requisition) in the Marketplace if a non-contract vendor is selected. Procurement Services takes over from there.
Reimbursement Request Workbook
The workbook is five pages plus instructions. Use the + sign in the lower right corner of the screen to zoom and enlarge the print. After you have read the instructions on the first worksheet, begin to complete the workbook. Please note that you cannot type outside of manual-entry fields and that the orange fields auto-calculate. Name workbook using the employee’s Last Name, First Name, and request number (e.g. “Doe, John Moving-and-Relocation-Expense-Workbook 01” OR ”Doe, Jane Moving-and-Relocation-Expense-Workbook 02”). Hard Copy packets are no longer required.
- Name workbook using the employee’s Last Name, First Name, and request number (e.g. “Doe, John Moving-and-Relocation-Expense-Workbook 01” OR ”Doe, Jane Moving-and-Relocation-Expense-Workbook 02”)
- Upload and send documents as appropriately named attachments following these steps:
- Obtain appropriate signatures (chair or department head and employee) on the Reimbursement Certification sheet (Certification of Moving Expenses)
- Gather all original receipts that are able to be scanned
- Acquire a signed, digital copy of the fully-executed Moving Agreement
Send workbook and supporting documents by email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unable to provide receipts and other documentation digitally, send the Reimbursement Certification sheet (Certification of Moving Expenses) with appropriate signatures, original receipts, and the fully-executed Moving Agreement via messenger to:
Moving and Relocation
University Human Resources
P.O. Box 400127
Neighborhood and school map: http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/va/charlottesville/schools/
Albemarle County Residents Info: http://www.albemarle.org/navpages.asp?info=residents
City of Charlottesville Residents Information: http://www.charlottesville.org/departments-and-services/city-services
Albemarle County Public Schools: http://www2.k12albemarle.org/Pages/default.aspx
Charlottesville City Schools: http://www.ccs.k12.va.us/
Charlottesville/Albemarle Private Schools: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/insider/family_privateschools.htm
Fluvanna County Public Schools (25 miles from UVa): www.fluco.org
Greene County Public Schools (27 miles): https://www.greenek12.org/
Nelson County Public Schools (35 miles): https://sites.google.com/a/nelson.k12.va.us/ncps/
Louisa County Public Schools (36 miles): http://www.lcps.k12.va.us/pages/Louisa_County_Public_Schools
Orange County Public Schools (44 miles): http://www.ocss-va.org/
Buckingham County Public Schools (47 miles): https://www.bcpschools.org/
Augusta County Public Schools (50 miles): http://www.augusta.k12.va.us/site/default.aspx?PageID=1
Rockingham County Public Schools (71 miles): http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/
Charlottesville Catholic School: www.cvillecatholic.com
Charlottesville Day School: www.cvilledayschool.org
Charlottesville Waldorf School: www.cwaldorf.org
Community Christian Academy: www.cca-va.org
Field School: www.fieldschoolcv.net
Free Union Country School : www.freeunioncountryschool.org
Mountaintop Montessori School: www.mountaintopmontessori.org
Peabody School: www.peabodyschool.org
Renaissance School: www.renaissanceschool.org
St. Anne's-Belfield School: www.stab.org
Tandem Friends School: www.tandemfs.org
Village School: www.villageschool.us
Additional Policies, Forms, & More