Death in the Family
The death of a loved one can leave you shaken and grieving. We offer our sincerest condolences to you for the passing of your loved one, and want you to know that we are here to support you in any way we can.
During this time, you can find support from UVA through programs such as:
- Bereavement support: Spiritual support from UVA Chaplains
- When a Loved One Dies: Information about making decisions such as whether to bury or cremate your loved one, whether to have an autopsy performed, and whether organs will be donated.
To discuss benefit changes, please contact the Solution Center, and a benefits counselor will assist you.
If you are the primary policy holder at UVA, the death of your loved one qualifies you to make changes to:
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Health FSA and Dependent FSA
- Group supplemental life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)
Please note that changes to your coverage may only be related to the qualified life event. (For example, with the passing of your loved one, you may change your "Employee Plus Spouse or Family" coverage level to "Employee Only," but you may not switch your coverage from Basic Health to Choice Health.)
What You Need to Know and Do:
Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
As a result of adding or removing a dependent, you may be able to make changes to your life and AD&D benefits, based on your current retirement plan. Contact your vendors directly to make changes to your life or AD&D benefits:
- VRS: Minnesota Life forms:
- ORP and MCRP: Standard Life Beneficiary form
As a result of adding or removing dependents, you may make changes to beneficiary designations for retirement or life insurance. Please contact the HR Solution Center at 434.243.3344 to make changes to beneficiaries, or reach out to the vendors directly:
For your retirement plan, contact your vendors:
Flexible Spending Accounts and Dependent Daycare Reimbursement Account
As a result of adding or removing dependents, you may make changes to Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and Dependent Daycare Reimbursement Account. Make the request to change your FSA within 30 days of the event. Changes become effective the following month.Learn More About FSAs
If you have survivor retirement benefits and your deceased was a retiree, you may enroll in the State Retiree Health Benefits Program if you had coverage prior to the retiree’s death. You would be considered an annuitant survivor.
- Current survivors of ORP retirees: Contact the HR Solution Center at 434.243.3344 or by email at AskHR@virginia.edu.
- Current survivors of VRS retirees: Contact the Virginia Retirement System: 888.827.3847