Marriage or Divorce
Making changes to your benefits package is usually reserved for Annual Enrollment, but marriage and divorce qualify for changes throughout the plan year.
If you get married or divorced, you are eligible to enroll yourself, your new spouse, and other eligible dependents not already on your policy, specifically:
- Add / remove spouse from medical, dental, and vision benefits, including adding new dependent children to any of these
- Elect, increase, or decrease contributions to your Health FSA and Dependent FSA (consistent with life event)
- Elect, increase, decrease, or drop group supplemental life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D).
Please note that any changes must be consistent with the qualified life event. (For example, if you get married you may change your Employee Only coverage to Employee Plus Spouse or Family. You may not switch coverage from Basic Health to Choice Health.)
What You Need to Know and Do:
Within 30 days of the qualifying event, initiate the process of adding or deleting dependent(s) in Workday:
- Navigate to Workday>Benefits App>Change Benefits
- Upload the required paperwork
- See this chart detailing documentation requirements
You may change your tax withholding due to adding or removing a dependent.
- Navigate to Workday>Pay App>Withholding Elections
- Click on the Update button and make your changes
When Will Changes Take Effect?
Your new dependents’ coverage will begin on the first of the month following receipt of the enrollment application and documentation by UVA HR Benefits and no earlier than the event date if it is received within 30 days of the qualified life event.
If you submit an application >30 days after the marriage, you must wait until the next annual enrollment to submit the request which will be effective the first of the following plan year.
Coverage for your spouse ends on the last day of the month in which the divorce is final. You are responsible for reimbursing the Plan for any payments made by the Plan for claims submitted for your ineligible dependents after the date their coverage ends.
For divorce, your spouse may purchase continuing coverage under COBRA for up to 36 months if UVA HR is notified within 60 days of the final divorce decree. If eligible, you will receive a letter from Chard Snyder, who administers COBRA for UVA.
Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
As a result of marriage or divorce, you may be able to make changes to life and AD&D benefits, based on your current retirement plan:
- VRS: Minnesota Life forms:
- ORP and MCRP: Standard Life Beneficiary form
- Send your completed form by fax to UVA HR at 434.924.4486, or by mail to:
UVA Human Resources
914 Emmet Street
P.O. Box 400127
Charlottesville, VA 22904
What Else Do I Need to Know?
As a result of adding or removing dependents, you may make changes to beneficiary designations for retirement or life insurance.
- Navigate to Workday>Benefits App>Change Beneficiaries
- Add, edit, or delete beneficiaries
- Reach out to your investment plan vendors directly for changes to your retirement plan:
Flexible Spending Accounts and Dependent Daycare reimbursement Account
As a result of marriage or divorce, you may make changes to your Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and Dependent Daycare Reimbursement Account which are consistent with the qualified life events (increase for adding dependents, and decrease for removal of dependents but not less than amount already contributed). You must make the request to change your FSA within 30 days of marriage or the divorce decree. Changes become effective the first day of the following month after the request and documentation has been received.Learn More About FSAs