Dependent changes can be a joy or a sorrow, and UVA is committed to helping you navigate the implications of these changes. Making changes to your benefits package is usually reserved for Annual Enrollment, but dependent changes qualify for changes during the plan year.
Dependent changes include:
- Adding a child (or children) from birth or adoption
- Dropping a child so they can enroll on your spouse’s plan
- Losing eligibility after a dependent turns a certain age
- Death of a dependent
Dependent changes allow you to enroll yourself, your new child, and eligible dependents not already on your policy, specifically:
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent FSA
- Group supplemental life insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
Any coverage changes must be consistent with the dependent change. (For example, if adding a dependent, you may change your Employee Only coverage to Employee Plus Spouse or Family, but you may not switch from Basic Health to Choice Health.)
What You Need to Know and Do:
Within 30 days of the qualifying event, initiate the process of adding or deleting dependent(s) in Workday:
- Navigate to Workday>Benefits App>Change Benefits
- Upload the required paperwork
- See this chart detailing documentation requirements
You may change your tax withholding due to adding or removing a dependent.
- Navigate to Workday>Pay App>Withholding Elections
- Click on the Update button and make your changes
When Will Changes Take Effect?
Changes for newborn or newly adopted children are effective on the date of birth or adoption if an enrollment application and documentation is received within 30 days. Your premium change is effective on the first of the month.
The addition of other dependents is effective the first of the month after the date of birth or adoption if an enrollment application is received within 30 days.
If you submit an application >30 days after the date of birth or adoption, then you cannot enroll until Annual Enrollment with the coverage starting the follow plan year.
Continue health care coverage for your child beyond the maximum age by purchasing COBRA through Chard Snyder (888.878.6175) for up to 36 months. If your dependent is eligible for COBRA, they will receive a letter from Chard Snyder.Learn More About COBRA
Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
As a result of adding or removing a dependent, you may be able to make changes to your life and AD&D benefits, based on your current retirement plan:
- VRS: Minnesota Life forms:
- ORP and MCRP: Standard Life Beneficiary form
As a result of adding or removing dependents, you may make changes to beneficiary designations for retirement or life insurance.
- Navigate to Workday>Benefits App>Change Beneficiaries
- Add, edit, or delete beneficiaries
- Reach out to your investment plan vendors directly for changes to your retirement plan:
Flexible Spending Accounts and Dependent Daycare Reimbursement Account
As a result of adding or removing dependents, you may make changes to Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and Dependent Daycare Reimbursement Account which are consistent with the qualified life event (increase for adding dependents, and decrease for removal of dependents but not less than amount already contributed). Make the request to change your FSA within 30 days of the event. Changes become effective the first day of the following month after you make the request and documentation has been received.Learn More About FSAs