Weather or Emergency Event Status
As a community, when we have an emergency we need to make informed decisions that maintain critical operations while keeping our colleagues and students safe.
To that end, the University has created an “emergency event status” designation for employees to clarify who should come to work and who should stay home. Specifically, all employees in both the Academic Division and UVA Health have been given a status of either "designated" or "non-designated. The designation helps us respond more effectively during inclement weather and other emergencies, and helps employees and team members better understand what is expected of them in emergency situations.
If you work in the Academic Division, your emergency event status designation status is visible in Workday:
- Navigate to Workday > Personal Information > View "About Me"
- In the Job Details area on the right side of the page, click on your job position
- In the Additional Information on the right side of the page, your Job Classification will show your emergency event status (designated or non-designated)
- Managers can change designations in Workday by doing a "Change Job" and editing the details tab, or asking an HRMS specialist to do it
Medical Center employees can refer to Policy 510 regarding their designation.
In the event of an emergency, we encourage managers to keep designated employees who must work to a minimum helping to keep local traffic low for first responders. Designated employees who do work may need to alter habits, such as using parking garages rather than parking lots so lots can be cleared without obstruction.
For questions, check with your supervisor, your school or unit HR Business Partner, or the HR Solution Center at 434.243.3344 or firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, you may find the links below helpful.
- Office of Emergency Management website - especially helpful in providing resources to prepare at home for emergencies
- Academic Division Operations Status Board
- UVA Health Status Board
- Emergency Event Status FAQs
- Emergency Event Status Messages
- UVA Policy: Disruption of Normal University Operations Resulting from Weather or Emergency Events
- Agency Closing Timekeeping instructions