If you are disabled for more than 5 business days, then call the Reed Group, at 1.877.928.7021 (toll-free) as soon as possible.
You can also visit the Reed Group website. Once you have signed up with the website with a username and registration you can click “Create a new Leave of Absence Request” and fill out the requested information.
The Reed Group will ask for:
- Your job title and agency name
- Date of birth
- Current mailing address
- Brief description of your disability
- Whether you have filed a workers’ compensation claim
- Last day you were - or will be - able to work
- Contact information for your doctor / licensed healthcare professional (Name, address, phone, and fax)
You will receive an information packet with forms that must be submitted before Reed Group can complete its review of your claim. Refer to the VSDP Handbook for more details about the forms below.
Submit to the Reed Group:
- Attending Physician Statement
- Authorization for Release of Medical Information
Submit to UVA HR:
- Short-Term Disability Repayment Agreement
- VSDP Outside Earned Income Reporting for Short-Term Disability Notification
A note on Disability Credits:
According to the VSDP Handbook, please note that if you were hired before January 1, 1999, and elected coverage under VSDP during one of two enrollment periods, you had the option to convert your accumulated sick leave to VRS service credit or to disability credits. If you chose disability credits and are receiving income replacement at 80 percent or 60 percent of your pre-disability income, you can use these credits to bring your income replacement level to 100 percent.
If you leave covered employment, you will be paid for 25 percent of any unused disability credits, up to $5,000.
If you retire, you can elect the cash payment or convert unused disability credits to VRS service credit toward calculating your benefit.
If you go on long-term disability, you must use these credits. Eight disability credits equal one day of 100 percent income replacement.