Injuries Can Happen; We're Here to Help

Workers' Compensation

Accidents happen. If you have been injured on the job, let us help you get back on your feet.

Am I eligible?

Employees who suffer on-the-job injuries or illnesses may be eligible for benefits under the Virginia Workers' Compensation Act. The Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission oversees the Act and coverage compliance.

The 3 types of Workers’ Compensation claim categories are:

  1. Record Only: Record Only claims involve no lost time and no physician or hospital care. This claim category may include simple first aid.
  2. Medical Only: Medical Only claims involve physician or hospital care and less than 7 calendar days of lost time expected.
  3. Indemnity: Indemnity claims involve physician or hospital care and greater than or equal to 7 calendar days of lost work time expected.

Claim category is determined on behalf of the injured employee upon report of accident or illness.

Claims submitted by Medical Center team members and Academic Division employees (Classified Staff, Faculty, Faculty Wage, Graduate Students who are paid as an employee through Workday, Hourly Student Wage, Hourly Temporary Employees, and University Staff) will be reviewed and approved/denied by the Commonwealth’s third-party Workers’ Compensation administrator, MC Innovations.

Claims submitted by University Physicians Group employees will be reviewed and approved/denied by their third-party administrator, Broadspire.

How do I initiate a claim?

  • Understand UVA's Policies

  • Academic Division Employees

    Review the Required Workers’ Compensation Documents packet and begin taking action immediately.

    • Note: Facilities Management Employees  - use your department's specific online Accident Report Form, also linked in the packet checklist. Otherwise, follow the checklist and complete the Physician Panel in the packet.

    The injured employee and supervisor must submit the accident report form, physician panel, and any documentation from initial medical attention to the UVA HR Benefits & Leave team at within 7 calendar days of the date of injury.

    Once all documents are received, the UVA HR Benefits & Leave team submits a claim to the third-party Workers’ Compensation administrator, MC Innovations (MCI).

    When MCI contacts the injured employee, it is important to respond to them in a timely manner, or your claim decision might be impacted.

    MCI will issue a decision on the claim status to the injured employee and to the UVA HR Benefits & Leave team.

    For an overview of the Workers’ Compensation process, please visit the Workday Learning module.

  • Medical Center Team Members

    Medical Center employees need to complete both the WC Accident Report and the Panel of Physicians and email them to

    If medical care is not needed, please decline the Panel of Physicians.

    Once both documents are received, a Workers’ Compensation claim will be submitted to the Workers' Compensation Insurer, MC Innovations.

    MC Innovations will determine coverage. If MC Innovations contacts you, it is important to respond to them or your claim decision might be impacted. 

  • University Physicians Group

    Please start the process by having your manager contact your Workers' Compensation Representative:

    An employee who is injured on the job should first notify their supervisor and then seek care by a provider in the Approved Panel of Providers listed below.  

    If the event is an emergency, an employee should seek emergency medical treatment immediately. After such treatment, Human Resources and the individual's supervisor should be notified.

    All injuries must also be recorded on the Accident-Injury form.

    After receipt, the Human Resources Benefits team will file a report to UPG’s Workers' Compensation third party administrator (TPA). Our TPA, Broadspire, is responsible for reviewing all filed claims and making final determinations in accordance with Virginia Workers' Compensation Act.

    If an approved claim is determined to be compensable, and the injury involves compensable lost time, lost time will be paid in accordance with the provisions of the Virginia Workers' Compensation Act.

    For further information about workers' compensation and pay while on approved lost time claim, please contact the UPG Benefits Team.

    Forms and Policies

What Else Do I Need to Know?

  • What If I Am Unable to Work?

    All Employees

    • Eligibility for the Workers’ Compensation benefit is determined by coverage approved by the relevant third-party administrator.
    • Employees' accumulated leave may be used to supplement payments for lost wages required by the Workers’ Compensation Act only up to the amount necessary to pay their regular salaries. The only exception is for employees that may receive more than their regular salaries if the excess amount is a result of payments for permanent losses to their bodies.
    • Employees should provide their manager with the medical note placing them off duty.
    • Please reach out to the Workers’ Compensation contact for additional details.

    Academic Division Employees

    • Contact Unum to determine your eligibility for FMLA.
    • While the claim is pending, employees may choose to use personal leave time. If the claim is approved, any Leave time consumed or unpaid time taken during this now-covered time is reimbursed to the employee at the 66 2/3% benefit rate.
    • For any claim that includes lost time, there is an unpaid waiting period of 7 calendar days. The injured employee may choose to use their own Leave time to ensure they are paid during the 7-day waiting period. If an employee’s lost time exceeds 21 days, any Leave time consumed or unpaid time taken during the 7-day waiting period is reimbursed to the employee at the 66 2/3% benefit rate.
    • If an employee is eligible for a short-term disability benefit that supplements their Workers’ Compensation benefit, they will only receive the greater of their Workers’ Compensation benefit or short-term disability benefit (excluding reimbursement for medical expenses).
    • Employees enrolled in the Virginia Sickness and Disability Plan, through enrollment in the Virginia Retirement Plan, should contact The Reed Group to file for short-term disability benefits to run concurrent with their Workers’ Compensation claim. For additional details, refer to the VSDP HandBook.
    • Employees participating in the traditional sick plan are eligible for payment during the 7-day waiting period as well as supplemental benefits for up to 92 days after the accident.
    • MC Innovations will pay owed benefits to non-benefited employees directly to the employee.

    Medical Center Team Members

    • Please review HR policy 512 for additional details regarding Workers’ Compensation paid leave benefits.
    • Workers’ Compensation Leave, WCP, is a paid leave covering lost time from work.
    • Eligibility for Workers’ Compensation Leave is determined by coverage approved by MC Innovations.
    • Leave coding for Workers’ Compensation Leave, WCP, is entered by the home department, if approved.
    • MC Innovations will pay owed benefits to non-benefited employees directly to the employee.
    • Medical Center team members should contact Unum to determine eligibility for FMLA.

    UPG Employees

  • What If I am Released to Light or Modified Duty?

    All Employees

    • The employee should provide their manager with a copy of their work restrictions.
    • The manager should offer the employee work tasks that are within the written restrictions, if available.
    • If the home department cannot locate work tasks based on the written restrictions, the employee might be temporarily assigned to another work area.
    • Refusal by the employee to accept a modified duty assignment may impact Workers’ Compensation benefits.
    • Transitional work is not a permanent job placement, nor is it a replacement for temporarily vacant positions.
    • Please reach out to your Workers’ Compensation contact for additional details.

    Medical Center Team Members

    • Please review HR Policy 513 for additional details regarding the Transitional Work Policy.
    • The Medical Center is committed to providing temporary and progressive transitional work for an employee who has sustained an injury/illness due to personal illness, injury, medical condition, or work-related accident/injury that would otherwise result in lost work time.
    • An employee will be considered for the Transitional Work Program when the attending physician and/or Workers' Compensation Panel Physician clears the employee to return to work with specific work restrictions.
  • What If I need to Fill a Prescription?

    Alius Health is a business partner of MC Innovations and has been selected to administer the injury prescription drug plan. A pharmacy card will be provided to an injured worker following an accident. By using the card, the employee will not be required to pay out of pocket for medications related to the injury or illness. A claim number or approval from the benefit coordinator is not required. 

    Instructions to request a pharmacy card:

    • Visit the Alius Health portal.
    • Enter passphrase (23219).
    • Follow the template to download (print), email, or fax, or text the card for the employee.
  • FEAP

    The Faculty & Employee Assistance Program (FEAP) offers counseling to UVA employees on a number of topics, including critical incidents. Examples of critical incidents are the death of a coworker, suicide, traumatic workplace incident, severe or cumulative workplace stress or workplace or community disaster.

    The goal of FEAP is to enhance and support the resilience of the organization and its employees and facilitate return to work and productivity. Many studies have shown that the primary factor in resilience is having caring and supportive family relationships and a supportive and responsive workplace.

    FEAP offers assessment, brief counseling, referral, and follow-up at no cost. The program is confidential and works with a wide variety of personal issues. FEAP consultants are familiar with the various resources in the community, and if an outside referral is needed, your FEAP consultant will recommend professionals that have expertise for your particular concern. FEAP will also work with you to ensure that you are getting the most cost-effective resource possible. Your FEAP consultant will follow up with you to make sure that the referral met your needs and to offer any additional support that may be helpful.

    Contact FEAP