Orientation and Onboarding are two new hire practices often thought of as one and the same. While both strengthen the new employee experience, the differences between the two are significant.
Delivered by the Orientation Team, orientation is for new employees to feel welcomed, engaged, inspired, prepared, well taken-care-of, and proud of the decision they made to join the University. During their orientation experience, the employees are introduced to the mission, vision, values, structure, and culture of the University. In addition, new employees are provided a host of resources to get them started at UVA.
Delivered by the manager and team, onboarding introduces the new employee to her/his position, department, team, and tools required for the role. A successful onboarding program continues for one year, ensuring the employee is the right fit for the role, has a strong understanding of her/his responsibilities, and is engaged in the work. Departmental onboarding includes a comprehensive list of activities, including check-ins, training, and upcoming milestones, available from the Orientation Team if needed.
When done well, orientation and onboarding help to assimilate new employees into becoming productive contributors; reduce stress for the new employee and the team; mitigate the high cost of employee turnover; develop new employee’s skills and job knowledge; and advance engagement in UVA culture, job satisfaction, morale, productivity, and institutional knowledge.
- Design and deliver Academic orientation and Day One UVA Health orientation
- Provide guidance, tools, resources, and support for departmental onboarding efforts
- Administer mandatory requirements and compliance training
- Drive cultural assimilation activities to ensure a positive employment experience
The Outcomes for Our Customers
- Introduction to the University and its culture
- Support for departments during onboarding, including tools and best practice guidance
- Coordination with other partners to facilitate seamless onboarding experience, to include benefits, parking, ID badge, computing ID, University ID, and other logistics
- Compliance training completion