UVA Education Benefits Program
UVA encourages employees to continue their education. The University’s Cornerstone Plan guides us to “invest in employees to foster a culture of excellence and achievement." The Education Benefit Program puts that belief into practice to help you reach your educational and professional goals. As a Medical Center team member, you can earn a degree, take a review course for professional certification, or earn a professional certification from an accredited institution. As an Academic Division employee, you can earn a degree or professional certificate from an accredited institution, take continuing education courses, and attend a conference related to your work. The Education Benefit enables you to do these things by providing financial support.
PLEASE NOTE: The deadline for 2021 benefits is December 10th at 5pm. All education benefits funds approved will count towards your 2021 education benefit.
Medical Center Tuition Assistance Reminder
We would like to remind benefits-eligible team members in the Medical Center about a few important aspects of tuition assistance to ensure your requests are approved through People Soft in time for your reimbursements to be applied in the 2021 calendar year.
- The benefit maximum is based on the calendar year in which the reimbursement is made, regardless of when it is submitted and for what term it is submitted.
- It is important to get in year-end grades as soon as possible to ensure all approvals, revisions, and corrections can be done in timely manner, as holidays can affect reimbursement timing. Documentation does not have to be an official transcript.
- It is important to ensure the request is correct and all necessary documentation is attached. Please make sure you do not include non-education related fees (i.e., student activity fees, technology fees, Institutional fees, books etc.,). Your request will be sent back for revision if you do and will need to go through your manager again for approval before it is sent back to HR. Please refer to HR Policy 301 for eligible costs.
- Requests go to your manager first for approval.
- Plan early for unforeseen issues. Here are two examples:
- If banks are closed for winter holidays when your request is approved, your reimbursement could fall into the next year, meaning your 2022 allotment would be used.
- If designated approvers are on vacation, notify UVA HR with the Report ID to get requests re-routed to another designated approver.
- We are unable to change the year allotment that the money comes from - the year you receive reimbursement is the year that the reimbursement is applied.
- Once UVA HR approves the request, it takes two business days for funds to be deposited directly into your account. If the deposit falls on a bank holiday, it will push the deposit back until the next business day.
Please be proactive in submitting tuition assistance requests - there are several factors that could potentially delay your request getting approved in time to be counted in 2021. If your reimbursements are not approved by HR by December 20, 2021, there is no guarantee that they will be reimbursed in calendar year 2021.