Training Time: 9-12 months
UVA Pharmacy Technician Training Program is an ASHP/ACPE accredited program. The program is to prepare current and aspiring pharmacy technicians with standardized training that meets state requirements to practice as a pharmacy technician. In addition, this program is to prepare technicians for any state or national certification exam.
Training includes: Online classroom training through Pharmacy Technician University, Experiential training in our state-of-the-art pharmacy, Preparation for passing the national certification exam. Candidates accepting a position will continue in their role as a pharmacy technician after completing the program and achieving their Virginia registration.
The program is a 424.4 hour program that can be completed within 9-12 months, however candidates have a maximum of 2 years to complete the program and pass the PTCE exam. The didactic portion of the program is completed online, is self-paced, and contains graded quizzes, unit exams, midterm, and final exam. The simulation portion of the program is observed and graded by local instructors. The experiential portion of the program is completed at designated pharmacy sites with an assigned preceptor.
- Didactic: 134.8
- Simulation: 65.6 hours
- Experiential: 224 hours
It is our goal for each student to succeed throughout the training program and into their career. To ensure the success of our students, they must meet the following minimum qualifications to enroll in the program:
- Possess a high school diploma or the equivalent.
- Have English language and math proficiency sufficient to fulfill the requirements of the pharmacy technician job responsibilities, demonstrated by passing the TRC Reading Comprehension and Math Assessments in three attempts or less. A minimum score of 70% is required for each assessment.
- Pass a screening pertaining to any illicit drug use and a criminal record background check.
- Comply with immunization requirements of experiential sites and employers.
- Meet state-specific age requirements for employment of pharmacy technicians.
- Meet state-specific requirements as regulated by the State Board of Pharmacy.
- Meet employer-specific requirements, if applicable.
*Note: Any applicant needing special accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact your Program Director.
The Program Director has final approval of applicants’ qualifications for acceptance into the training program.
UVA Health Department of Pharmacy Services
1240 Lee Street
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Timony Couturier, CPhT
Chief Pharmacy Officer:
Robert Guanci PharmD, MBA
How do I get my Pharmacy Technician license in Virginia?
- Successfully complete a VA Board of Pharmacy approved training program
- Register and pay for the National Exam
- Take and pass the National exam
- Complete an online Virginia Pharmacy Technician Registration Application
Effective July 1, 2022 the Virginia Board of Pharmacy mandated that a pharmacy technician applicant must complete a pharmacy technician training program that is
1) jointly accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) and the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), or 2) an accredited training program operated through the Department of Education’s (DOE) Career and Technical Education program, or 3) a program operated through a federal agency or branch of the military, or 4) a program accredited by an accreditation body approved by the board. Please note that the DOE has indicated that it intends to require joint accreditation through ASHP and ACPE, and to date, the Board has not approved another accreditation body.
License and Registration Requirements and Fees:
*All costs listed below are out of pocket for pharmacy technician candidates. The exam fee required for National Certification may be eligible for reimbursement through UVA Health’s tuition and education benefits (must pass exam).
Pharmacy Technician Trainees: Persons enrolled in a pharmacy technician training program must obtain a pharmacy technician trainee registration if they will be performing the duties of a pharmacy technician. Registration is valid for two years. Registration applications can be found on the Virginia Board of Pharmacy website.
Pharmacy Technician Trainee Registration:
Application fee: $20
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT): The UVA Pharmacy Technician Training Program is recognized by the ASHP/ACHE. The pharmacy technician applicant will receive a diploma at the end of the program, and will then be eligible to sit for a National Exam to achieve “certified pharmacy technician” status. Two exams are recognized for board licensure; the PTCE, and the ExCPT. More information about the exams can be found below.
Upon passing a national exam, candidates must complete the final step of the process to practice as a pharmacy technician in Virginia. Candidates must register for a Virginia Pharmacy Technician License. Click here for more information.
Pharmacy Technician Registration:
Initial application fee: $35
Annual renewal fee: $35