UVA J Visa Health Plan
J Visa Health Plan Communications:
Aetna Health App
Stay on top of your health care, when and where it works for you. Sign up for the Aetna Health App.
Consolidated Appropriations Act (CAA) / No Surprises Act (NSA)
Signed into law on December 27, 2020, the $900 billion COVID-19 stimulus package provides funding for COVID-19 testing and tracing, vaccine distribution, and temporarily increases unemployment benefits The package also includes Transparency in Coverage machine-readable file requirements for in-network negotiated rates and out-of-network allowed amounts and billed charges.
The package also includes Transparency in Coverage machine-readable file requirements for in-network negotiated rates and out-of-network allowed amounts and billed charges. The machine-readable file (MRF) contains in-network negotiated rate information except for providers with unique payment methodologies, as well as historical out-of-network reimbursement information. To protect member privacy, amounts that do not have at least 20 historical unique charges are not included. The MRF is written in computer code and is intended for third party technology vendors. Here is the link to the machine readable file.
UVA J Visa Health Plan members should download their 1095-B tax forms from the Aetna international secure portal. This form reports the type of health insurance coverage you have, any dependents covered by your health insurance policy, and the period of coverage for 2022. It is used to verify on your tax return that you and your dependents had at least minimum qualifying health insurance coverage. Instruction on how to download this form are found here.
The J Visa Health Plan (previously called the J1 Visa Health Plan) is a fully insured plan designed just for J1 visa holders that meets the minimum requirements set by the U.S. Department of State, including medical evacuation and repatriation. These requirements can change with minimal notice, and offering a plan specifically for J Visa holders allows UVA to alter the plan benefits quickly, if necessary.
- For the 2023 plan year, premiums will increase for the UVA J Visa Health Plan for UVA employees on J visas. As a self-insured health plan, the Plan is paid for by employee and employer contributions, and rising prices have an impact on the cost of the health plan. UVA has absorbed these costs for the last three years and held premiums flat for employees. While employee premium rates will increase in 2023, the employer contribution will cover the greatest part of the increases.
- There are no changes to UVA J Visa Health Plan deductibles or coverage levels for 2023.
Who is Eligible?
Only UVA employees on J visas will be eligible for enrollment on this health plan. If your visa status changes to a J visa during the plan year, you will need to change your health coverage accordingly.
If your visa status changes from a J visa to an H1B visa during the plan year, you will remain on the J Visa Health Plan for the plan year. You will be able to change your health coverage during Open Enrollment for the next plan year.
What is the Coverage?
- For specific information about coverage and costs for each tier, please view the UVA J Visa Health Schedule of Benefits
- Note that specialty drugs must be filled at the UVA Specialty Pharmacy
- Pharmacy benefits are administered through Aetna; present the Aetna medical/Rx ID card to your pharmacy when you order your first prescription
- View the Pharmacy Coverage document for additional details
|($ is per calendar year)||Inside U.S., In-Network||Inside U.S., Out-of-Network||Outside U.S.|
|Individual Deductible||$500||Not covered||$500|
|Family Deductible||$1,000||Not covered||$1,000|
|Individual Out-of-Pocket Max||$5,500||Not covered||$5,500|
|Family Out-of-Pocket Max||$11,000||Not covered||$11,000|
What Are the Costs?
Your premiums are the amount you spend on the UVA J1 Visa Health Plan each paycheck. Premiums are not included as contributions toward your deductible or out-of-pocket maximum. They are money you spend on health coverage, regardless of whether you use it or not.
2023 Monthly Employee Premiums
|Employee Premium||Employer Contribution||Total|
|Employee + Child(ren)||$147.25||$999.75||$1,147.00|
|Employee + Spouse||$185.00||$1,289.75||$1,474.75|
|Employee + Family||$296.25||$1,833.75||$2,130.00|
2023 Monthly Housestaff Premiums
|Employee Premium||Employer Contribution||Total|
|Employee + Child(ren)||$98.25||$1,048.75||$1,147.00|
|Employee + Spouse||$100.75||$1,374.00||$1,474.75|
|Employee + Family||$111.75||$2,018.25||$2,130.00|
Ready to Enroll?
If you are currently enrolled on the Choice Health Plan, you will be automatically rolled over to the UVA J Visa Health Plan. However, do review your tier levels in Workday to confirm they still apply to your family situation.
Please confirm social security numbers for your dependents and make changes in Workday:
- Sign in to WORKDAY; click on the BENEFITS tile
- To view your benefits elections, click on BENEFIT ELECTIONS in the VIEW box
- To change your benefits elections, click BENEFIT ELECTIONS in the CHANGE box
- To update your benefits beneficiaries, click BENEFICIARIES in the CHANGE box
- To update your benefits dependents, click DEPENDENTS in the CHANGE box