Beware of False Retirement Emails!
Please be aware that some employees have received the email below, which is NOT legitimate.
Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2022 12:06 PM
Subject: Retirement And Pension Meetings For University of Virginia Employees
As a valued employee of the University of Virginia, you are eligible to receive a free one-on-one consultation for answers to your retirement benefit questions.
As part of this meeting, you will be provided information that will help you figure out:
- Your expected income when you retire
- How much longer you will have to work
- How you can save more money for retirement
- Which options have guaranteed income when you retire
Daytime appointments are going fast. Click below to see whats available
Click Here to Schedule Your Meeting
Representatives are not state or college employees. This e-mail has been sent to XXX@virginia.edu, click here to unsubscribe.
Per the UVA Information Security website, if you receive an email that appears "phishy" and are unsure if it's legitimate:
- DO NOT respond! Do not click any links in the email, and do not "unsubscribe" or acknowledge the email in any way.
- UVA identifies popular phishing scams: check our Information Security Alerts & Warnings page to see if the suspicious email message is listed.
- If it is not listed on the above webpage, please forward the email to our email abuse team by forwarding the email to "firstname.lastname@example.org" Forwarding the message as an attachment will allow us to receive the original message in its entirety, including the email header information. (Just because it's not listed on our InfoSec Security Alerts webpage does NOT mean it's not phishing. You may be the first to report this phishing email!)
- If you are using Outlook, report it as phishing. Otherwise, DELETE the email!
For further information about phishing emails and how to recognize them, please see our web pages about phishing and about preventing other ways that bad actors are trying to steal your information and gain access to your computer and accounts.