Exceptional Assistants’ Network
The Exceptional Assistants’ Network (EAN) consists of more than 600 administrative and service support employees who have graduated from the Exceptional Assistants’ Seminar Series. Members of the network focus on professional development, networking, and community service. EAN series are offered several times per year. Please note your preferred series on your application, which we will try to accommodate.
Seminar Series: Description and Enrollment Information
The Exceptional Assistants’ Seminar Series is designed to enhance administrative skills, broaden understanding of the University culture and to introduce program graduates to a network that focuses on personal development and community service. Sessions are designed to incorporate experiential learning through exercises that expand understanding, skill, and professional competencies with a special focus on organizational agility, developing self, communicating effectively, and individual efficiency.
Topics covered include:
- DiSC® Personality Assessment
- Building Your Brand
- Emotional Intelligence
- Applied Positive Psychology
- Managing Up
- Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Email and Records Management
- Using Outlook for Effective Communications
- Time Management (Getting Things Done)
WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE?
The program is open to any full-time U.Va. employee serving in an administrative support or service role.
WHAT IS REQUIRED OF THE PARTICIPANT?
- Attend all sessions
- Arrive on time
- Permission from manager to participate in the program
WHAT IS REQUIRED OF THE PARTICIPANT’S MANAGER?
- Support the participant’s attendance at all sessions.
- Discuss coverage and workload expectations with participant in advance.
- Encourage and support future employee development opportunities.
- Fall 2021
- October 5, 12, 19
- Deadline to apply is September 1
- Spring 2022
- March 1, 8, 15
- Deadline to apply is February 1
There is no cost to participants.Apply Now!
As a member of the EAN, you will have the opportunity to help the Charlottesville community by engaging in outreach opportunities for local schools and nonprofit organizations. Participating in these activities will not only give you a sense of personal satisfaction, but also the opportunity to network with other members, explore career and personal interests, and perhaps uncover hidden skills and talents! Look at some of our previous activities listed below.
What Have We Done?
- Donated toiletries to the Shelter for Help in Emergency
- Donated a care package to Jackson-Via Elementary School Teachers for Teacher Appreciation Week
- Delivered Valentines cupcakes to refugee families
- Delivered bags of cheer (clothing & toys) to the pediatric patients in the Acute Unit at UVA Medical Center
- Sponsored a Back to School Drive to provide school supplies for area children
- Prepared lunch at the Salvation Army
- Donated gifts to GRACE Christmas Gift Program
- Delivered a jumbo Easter basket filled with treats to the Charlottesville Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Donated food for the Thanksgiving Drive (Blue Ridge Food Bank)
- Donated leave hours to the University Leave Bank
Tools to Lead at UVA (Health)
In this six session, cohort experience, new managers will have the opportunity to collaborate with other new managers and practice using UVA leadership tools and principles.
Tools to Lead at UVA, is designed to empower our leaders with time to learn, practice and share ideas about managing and inspiring our teams. You will learn about UVA specific structures and processes in place to support our goals. Prior to the start of the program you will have a brief consultation with a Learning and Development Consultant regarding your goals and challenges. Our program design will focus on the role of a leader with hands-on exercises to practice skills and share creative insights. We are confident that this program will challenge and energize you in your leadership role.
Tools to Lead will consist of six half-day classes, some preparatory work, and follow-up discussions. The dates of these training sessions are below and your full participation is expected in each of the sessions. To better support your continued growth outside of this program, you will be matched with an accountability group.
Program Dates & Locations, Deadlines, & Requirements
Tools to Lead at UVA will be part of a set of resources focusing on effectively onboarding new leaders in their first year at UVA. Tools to lead is typically offered quarterly. All participants are invited to participate upon their entry into their new role or UVA at large. Our program will be postponed unless the minimum attendance requirement of 10 participants is met.
Session1: Monday, March 1st, 2021, 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
Session 2: Wednesday, March 3rd, 2021, 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
Session 3: Wednesday, March 10th 2021, 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
Session 4: Wednesday, March 17th , 2021, 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
Session 5: Wednesday, March 24th, 2021, 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
Session 6: Wednesday, March 31st, 2021, 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
Dare to Lead
To scale daring leadership and build courage in teams and organizations, we have to cultivate a culture in which brave work, tough conversations, and whole hearts are the expectation, and armor is not necessary or rewarded. Dare to Lead™ is the ultimate playbook for developing brave leaders and courageous cultures. This program builds the skills we need to show up with other people, try new behaviors, experience falls and failures, get back up, learn, and try again.
Based on the research of Brené Brown, the Dare to Lead™ program is an empirically based, courage-building program based on four skills sets that are teachable, observable, and measurable. This training program, led by Certified Dare to Lead™ Facilitator Rose Markey, will equip participants with language, tools, and exercises to put these four skills into immediate practice.
- Rumbling with Vulnerability: face risk, uncertainty, and tough conversations with courage, clarity, and empathy.
- Living into Our Values: identify what you stand for and how to show up from a place of integrity every day.
- BRAVING Trust: build meaningful and authentic connections with your teams, colleagues and customers so you can work together from a foundation of trust.
- Learning to Rise: become aware of your emotions and stories and learn how to show up and lead with courage - even when faced with failure, disappointment, and setbacks.
This program is offered as an eight part series of three hour workshops and includes the Dare To Lead™ workbook and trained badge for your LinkedIn profile. This program is most effective when offered to in-tact leadership teams who want to change and improve their culture. This program is also offered in an open-enrollment format to any UVA employee or team member. Further information can be obtained by contacting Rose Markey at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Cohort Dates
- February 1, 3, 8, 10, 15, 17, 22, 24 9a-12p (Eight 3 hour sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- April 12, 19, 26, May 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 9a-12p (Eight 3 hours sessions on Tuesdays)
- June 7, 9, 14, 16, 21, 23, 28, 30 9a-12p (Eight 3 hour sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- September 6, 13, 20, 27, October 4, 11, 18, 25 9a-12p (Eight 3 hours sessions on Tuesdays)
This interactive program is designed to increase your knowledge, skills, and the manager/leader’s ability to succeed at UVA. The program covers the foundations of being a leader and HR policies and practices for effective management. Leadership Essentials is designed to educate, inspire, and to stretch your leadership thinking and abilities. It gives you and fellow participants the opportunity to engage in dynamic discussions and activities, learning from each other and building valuable relationships.
The class is every Tuesday, on Zoom. An application must be completed by your manager acknowledging the time commitment and her/his support of your development plan. Participants should have at least three years of people management/leadership experience. Once approved, participants will receive a confirmation for participation and details regarding the materials needed to complete the program.
Further information can be obtained by contactingLisa Harris at email@example.com
FALL 2021 SPRING 2022
SEPTEMBER 13- NOVEMBER 8 FEBRUARY 15 – APRIL 19
10 WEEKS 10 WEEKSApplications for Fall 2021 Due August 2nd - Apply Now!