I-9 and E-Verify
Completing Your I-9
You will receive a task in your Workday inbox to complete your I-9. Go to the Actions tab of your Inbox and click on the task to complete your I-9.
Citizenship Definitions and Details
A citizen of the United States: U.S. Citizen
A noncitizen national of the United States: People born in American Samoa, certain former citizens of the former Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and certain children of noncitizen nationals born abroad
A Lawful Permanent Resident: Permanent Resident of the U.S. (You will need your Alien Number or USCIS Number.)
An Alien authorized to work: This box applies to F1, J1, H-1B, EAD, O1, Refugees/Asylees, E3, or TN holders.
- F1/J1 Holders: You will need your I-94 number and the expiration date from your I20 or DS2019.
- H-1B, EAD, E3, O1 or TN Holders: You have the option of using your I-94 number or your Alien/USCIS Number, and you will also need to enter the expiration date.
- Refugee/Asylee: You will need your I-94. In the expiration date, enter n/a since your employment authorization does not expire.
Offsite New Hires
- Some UVA employees do not physically work at the University and cannot present original documents to a University representative for inspection
- Federal law permits UVA to seek the services of an authorized representative to carry out I-9 responsibilities on behalf of the University
- Review the Offsite New Hire Employment Verification (I-9) Instructions