Bright Horizons provides benefits-eligible employees with affordable, temporary care for themselves or for loved ones of any age.
Back-up care can be provided at licensed care facilities or by in-home providers. In-home providers have been screened, trained (including in CPR and first aid), and given a background-check. This service is available 24 hours / day, 365 days / year.
This service covers:
- Unexpected issues - illness, unreliable caregivers, or school closures
- Planned occasions - holidays, caregiver vacations, or surgeries
- Difficult-to-resolve situations, including lack of family support, non-traditional work hours, or distant loved ones
- Any other reason for in-home care, meal preparation, and assistance with everyday household tasks, especially during recuperation from unexpected illness or planned events (i.e. surgery)
What Bright Horizons Offers
- 3,000+ convenient child care centers, providing structured environments, group activities, and social interaction
- 2,000+ home healthcare and nanny agencies
- 24/7 care, including weekends and overnight
- Care for employees’ dependents (dependents do not need to reside in the employee’s home.)
- Licensed, bonded, and insured agencies and facilities.
How It Works
Benefits-eligible employees receive up to 15 back-up care days / year at UVA’s discounted rate. To access Bright Horizons Back-up Care Services, here’s what you need to do:
- Pre-register with Bright Horizons here.
- UVA Academic employees: If you are not already registered, use UVA (username) and backup8 (password) to log in for the first time.
- UVA Medical Center employees: If you are not already registered, use UVAMC (username) and care4you2 (password) to log in for the first time.
- Enter your credit card for payment (While this is required, please note that money is never exchanged at the time of care.)
- When you need care, call Bright Horizons' toll-free number (877.242.2737) to consult a specialist. They will identify the most appropriate provider within their network for your specific needs.
What Does it Cost?
- Center-based services: $15 per child / day; $25 per family / day
- In-home services: $6 / hour