Prescription Drug Program
Changes can be good.
Effective January 1, 2021, UVA’s Health Plan Pharmacy administration is managed by Aetna, which also administers the UVA Health Plan’s medical program. Combining medical and prescription coverage with a single administrator allows for more aligned and convenient service to meet your health care needs, and delivers financial savings which contributed to no increase in premiums for 2021.
Other advantages to having Aetna as our new pharmacy administrator include:
- A UVA dedicated concierge service model using Aetna One Advocate. You can connect live to an advocate who is available to explain medical care costs, coordinate care and approvals, connect you with resources, and create a personal care plan.
- Access to a Pharmacy Advisor who supports members with chronic conditions.
- Seamless access to one website with your personal medical and prescription drug information and expenses in a single place. One ID card for both the prescription drug and medical programs. One mobile app to download.
- Maintenance Choice - offers flexible options for maintenance medications such as reduced cost for 90-day supplies.
- Several additions to expand your prescription benefits such as insulin pumps, free glucometers, seasonal and preventive vaccine coverage, and more.
Update regarding vaccines for UVA Health Plan participants under age 18
Those under age 18 should continue to receive their vaccines through the medical benefit at their doctor's office or at one of the pharmacies in Aetna's Expanded Vaccine Network. The pharmacies should be reminded to bill Aetna instead of AetnaRx so your medical benefit covers the vaccine.